(vol. 33W, no. 5; newsletter by h.s.)
Heading into the second half of the season with a 1-3-0 record the Pirates needed a victory, and the team responded with quality play from the entire team. Although the Pirates had ten men in the line-up, notable absences for the festivities were Scooby (who is currently working a gig in Connecticut so he'll be out of the line-up indefinitely) and Grinberg. Subbing were Joe Baio and Ryan Collis, a Pirates “Future Pick” in the 2011 draft.

Right off the first shift, Scott Miller didn't take long to get the Pirates on the board with a nice Gretzky-esque move up the middle. Unfortunately the Jags were able to answer back off a beautiful deflection in front. That, however, would be the last time the Jags would find the twine. Ryan (having survived the controversy of whether or not he was allowed to play) would lazer a one-timer (assist S. Miller) that appeared to go through the Jag goalie's body. Russ would give us a two-goal lead for the first time (assist Joe Baio), before Scott Miller added the second of the night (assist Ryan).

The Pirates would score twice more in the last period: First, Evan broke out of the zone and put away his own rebound for the 5-1 lead; then Russ (assist Gucci) would add the final tally of the night to put him on the verge of a hattrick. The big story of the second half should have been Russ' attempt to reclaim his hattrick record (one that he currently shares with Brooks) or Joe Baio's twin penalties — a first for our 3-time Lady Byng winner. Instead, a fluke collision between teammates in our zone would knock Evan out for the remainder of the season and land him the E.R. at Jersey Shore Medical Center. (For the latest on Evan, see the “Injury Report.”)

To sum up: A big win, but a costly one.
date of game: 4.02.08

WON 6-1


For his two tallies. (He currently leads the Pirates with 8 goals.)

For the pair of goals.

For the tally.

Broken Fibula and Tibia in three places plus some ligament damage. Had surgery the following day (not sure if he'll have to have a second round or not to remove all the screws and plates.) Gets fiberglass splint off, staples removed next week and protective boot. Out for remainder of season, next season and 10 weeks from work. “It certainly didn't hurt when it happened,” he said.