(vol. 42W, no. 6; newsletter by b.n.)
Not to jump ahead or anything, but the talk before the game (other then the standard talk of black helicopters ... dark matter. ... and Tony Toscano) was the talk about next week's game ... which, as things would have it, was on a Monday. No big deal, right? Well on any other given Monday it would not have been a big deal, but as KennyG was quick to point out Monday is a Federal holiday — and Kenny doesn't work Federal holidays.

So anyway with all the talk of Monday's game being on a holiday and the likelihood of no one showing up, it was somewhat of a bad omen that ... you guessed it ... there was only four skaters warming-up before the game (and one of those was only 14 years old).

But alas everyone finally straggled-in and the game got underway. Wildman was a no-show, even ... but that was not a surprise. As it turns out it his car was never actually stolen, but was more accurately “misplaced”; for those in the know, Wildman got off the bus at Cheesequake Expecting to find his car and drive home. But instead, the car was nowhere to be found and Wildman reported it stolen. Later it was discovered that Wildman actually got on the bus in Red Bank and his car had been sitting there unharmed ever since.

Dave Matthews was another no-show ... don't know why. But to make up for the no-shows ... Gucci showed-up (with beer) and Scott Miller also appeared (with beer) so all would be forgiven later.

The Pirates played the game without much fanfare after that ... jumping out to a 2-0 lead. The Pirates needed strong goaltending to hang on for the one goal win.

Attendance (players): Farrell, Genalo, Gesior, LeMatty, Newcomb, Maccanico (sub). Net: Harris.
Scratches: Cassens, Nicolosi, Matthews (AWOL), McLaughlin.
Injured Reserve: Gucci (season, bicep), Miller (3 weeks, ankle).
Scoring: 1st period: 1-0 Pirates: Goal by Maccanico (LeMatty). 3rd period: 2-1 Pirates: Goal by LeMatty (Farrell).
date of game: 6.30.10

WON 2-1


For lighting the lamp first.

For the defense, the point, and the longest ash ever at a post-game “meeting.”

For 43:09 of shutout play.